Contacts





History
Villa Sparici Landini

At the top of Via Monte Corno we arrive at Villa Sparici Landini (the villa and the park are not open for visits), formerly Villa Angheben, a building probably older but finished as it is in the classic 19th century style. The villa is, between blossoming gardens, in an enviable position, at the beginning of a ridge of cypress in a long double line that spaces out from east to west. These cypress were planted after the 1848 battles on these hills in honour of the Austrian army officers that had died during the war: and, not by chance, they end in front of an enormous artifact cairn, not modeled by nature.

It won’t be unnecessary to specify that our territory is part of Garda Lake morainic anphitheatre, composed of a succession of horseshoe shaped hills, not taller than 200 -210 metres. These hills are formed of incoherent materials, erosive and permeable, pebbles and gravel deposited by glaciations and streams in the last million years.

In the west side of the Monte Corno hill, in the late autumn of 1868 the excavation work for the plantation of a big vineyard brought to light the signs of a bronze age village, the first human settlement on the premises, with materials examples of prehistoric life such as arrow tips, loom weights, brooches and vases.

The villa from the village can be seen, regular in its structure and its colors - traditional for Verona, red and gold - on top of the Corno hill. Where it reveals, at a scarcely less superficial exam, of having been of strategic importance. Residuals of brickwork, found under the wine cellar, possibly dating back to a defensive wall built by the Scaligeri family in the 13th century as an advanced defense to the city, certainly corroborated the most logical hypothesis. It wouldn’t be amiss to think that even the bastion on which the property stands and that runs through the valley, was not natural but rather built by man as an ancient defence to Verona.

The evidence is more than one: there are relics of walls and tunnels for long stretches inside the hill, that also the Austrians used as a strategic observation post; in 1866, at the time of the Third War of Independence the head of their army, archduke Albert, chose this hill and its villa as his headquarters.
A few decades before the Austrian authorities had built a long tunnel in the hill, but parts of its walls show some characteristics that let think of a pre-existing construction, dating back to the Scaligeri times, that the Austrian simply enlarged. From 1891 and for some decades the hill, thanks to its height, was also home of the traditional Epiphany bonfires, so tall that they could be seen from Verona causing great amazement.

In the interior of the villa a wide hall leads to - in conformity with custom venetian building techniques – the various reception rooms of the house and the monumental staircase.

Sparici Landini
Azienda Agricola San Quirico
Via San Quirico 2, 37060 Sona (VR) Italy
PI/CF: 01512440296
francesca.landini24@gmail.com
Mobile +39 347 1853881
Phone / Fax +39 045 6081778